This item is provided by the institution :
The Ephorate of Antiquities of Messinia

Repository :
Digital Pylia

see the original item page
The hyperlink to the item page in the institutional repository is temporally not available due to maintenance works in the repository’s web site*
download the main file
from the Preservation Service of EKT.
use
the file or the thumbnail according to the license:
CC BY-SA 4.0

Attribution-ShareAlike
share






Αεροφωτογραφία του Παλαιόκαστρου (Ναβαρίνου) (EL)
Aerophotography of Palaiokastro (Navarino) (EN)

Ζόγκλος, Κάστρο της Γιάλοβας (EL)
Zonglos, Castle of Yalova (EN)

Βασίλης Γεωργιάδης (EL)
Vassilis Georgiadis (EN)

Το 1287 μ.Χ. ο φράγκος κύριος των Θηβών, Nicholas II de Saint Omer, έχτισε ένα κάστρο επαναχρησιμοποιώντας μεγάλο μέρος του υπάρχοντος οικοδομικού υλικού από την κλασική ακρόπολη, καθώς και από τις προηγούμενες πελασγικές οχυρώσεις. Το κάστρο (Παλαιόκαστρο) είχε μια πολυτάραχη ιστορία: το 1381 ετέθη υπό την κυριαρχία των Ισπανών της Ναβάρας, το 1423 αγοράστηκε από τους Βενετούς και προσαρτήθηκε στη Μεθώνη, και το 1500 παραδόθηκε από τους υπερασπιστές του στο σουλτάνο Βαγιαζίτ Β. Το κάστρο καταλαμβάνει έκταση περίπου 50 στρεμμάτων και έχει σχήμα ελαφρά τραπεζοειδές. Είχε αμυντικό αλλά και οικιστικό χαρακτήρα, ενώ είχε ληφθεί μέριμνα και για λιμενικές εγκαταστάσεις, κατά το πρότυπο της αρχαίας πόλης. Η κυρία είσοδος βρισκόταν στη νότια πλευρά, αν και τμήμα της κεντρικής πύλης σήμερα έχει καταρρεύσει. Εντός των τειχών είναι ορατά ερείπια δημόσιων και ιδιωτικών κτηρίων, της καθολικής εκκλησίας και υπόγειων δεξαμενών νερού. (EL)
In 1287 μ.Χ. the Flemish lord of Thebes, Nicholas II de Saint Omer, built on cape Koryphasion a castle, using much of the extant building material of the classical acropolis, as well as of earlier Pelasican fortifications. The castle (Palaiokastro) had a long and turbulent history: in 1381 it was subjugated to the Navarreans, in 1423 it was bought by the Venetians and annexed to Methoni, and in 1500 it was surrendered to the troops of Sultan Vayezid B'.The castle comprises an extent of 50 acres and has a slightly trapezoidal shape. It was used both for defense and for habitation. Port infrastructure was also developed, following the model of classical Pylos. The main entrance was on the southern side although part of the central gate has collapsed today. Inside the walls are visible some remains of public and private buildings, of the Catholic church and of subterranean cisterns. (EN)

Μνημείο (EL)
Monument (EN)

Μνημεία (EL)
Monuments (EN)


Εφημ. Καθημερινή, 7 Ημέρες, αφιέρωμα στο Ναυαρίνο, 2 Οκτωβρίου 1994 (EL)
Kathimerini newspaper, 7 Ημέρες, αφιέρωμα στο Ναυαρίνο, 2 October 1994 (EN)

1287 μ.Χ. (EL)
1287 A.D. (EN)

Ακρωτήριο Κορυφάσιο (EL)
Cape Koryphasion (EN)

Φράγκικη- Ενετική Περίοδος (EL)
Frankish - Venetian Period (EN)

2015-05-20T18:56:38Z

Image

No linguistic content

Εφορεία Αρχαιοτήτων Μεσσηνίας (EL)
Ephorate of Antiquities of Messenia (EN)

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/



*Institutions are responsible for keeping their URLs functional (digital file, item page in repository site)